Navigating the governmental labyrinth presents a spectrum of opportunities for both public and private entities. But with opportunity often comes obstacles. We can help. The KTS Strategies Team brings years of experience representing local municipalities, corporate transportation entities, nonprofit organizations, statewide associations, government vendors, and Fortune 500 companies before the North Carolina General Assembly and executive branch. We have won countless victories, defeated many adverse bills and proposals, restored reputations, and frequently secured “a seat at the table” for our clients.
Our team began their careers as legislative advisors in both state and federal arenas, giving us unique insight into the legislative process and a broad range of industry issues and topics, including finance, aviation, technology, transportation, energy, environment, health care, outdoor sports, pharmaceuticals, political campaigns, and real estate development, among others. Our team has served in many capacities in national, state, and local political campaigns; developed winning advocacy strategies across the globe; connected clients with key decision makers; drafted and passed legislation; counseled clients regarding compliance with laws and regulations; and prepared and accompanied witnesses for testimony before government committees and in agency hearings and investigations. Our clients’ success matters. With the resources of a global firm and the tailored approach of a boutique practice, our team goes above and beyond to help our clients create opportunities and lasting solutions. As such, we know what to expect and how to strongly advocate for our clients’ interests and get results.
Through innovative strategies and our ability to identify and troubleshoot critical issues, our attorneys and lobbyists consistently deliver game-changing results for our government relations clients. Highlights include:
- Helped develop the North Carolina Airport Improvement Program that appropriates $75 million to North Carolina commercial service airports annually. This was the first significant commercial airport investment to date.
- Successfully drafted and facilitated the passage of an amendment to significantly curtail legislation limiting nuisance lawsuits, defeating many of the largest and most powerful lobbies and companies in North Carolina.
- Only North Carolina law firm to include lobbyists that previously worked for the current Senate President Pro Team and Speaker of the House.
- Successfully extended hunting opportunities — for the first time since the 1800s — to include Sunday waterfowl hunting and public land use.
- Passed a financing law for an investor client, authorizing a special assessment to reimburse private parties for costs incurred for critical infrastructure requirements — allowing the multimillion dollar project to proceed.
- Advised the North Carolina Speaker of the House on lowering personal income tax to lowest in the Southeast; lowering corporate income tax to the lowest in the nation; and exemption from sales tax on manufacturing and distribution facility equipment.
- Advised the North Carolina Department of Revenue on largest expansion of sales tax for real property services.
- Raised over $3.2 million for national political candidates over four election cycles, supporting a win rate of over 80 percent.
- Served as coalition fundraiser on more than 15 state ballot initiatives.
- Represented BB&T in a successful effort to update origination and late fees that had remained steady since 1991 and had kept BB&T at a disadvantage to other banks chartered outside of North Carolina